![]() |
| Ryan Howard jump started the offense when he returned from injury. |
![]() |
| Werth helped the Nationals to the playoffs in 2012 |
My reflections of the 2012 season are just like everyone else.... Disappointing to say the least. Injuries crippled the Phillies. Once Utley and Howard came back from injury the team started playing much better. Once Pence, Victorino (who I miss already) and Blanton were traded the team seemed to have more life. Once September rolled around Darrin Ruf hit the scene and boy did he impress. But seeing the Phillies play September the way they used to back in the early 2000's was sad. Watching the 2012 MLB postseason has been really sad. Watching former Phillies like Jayson Werth and Hunter Pence (even though he was only with the Phillies for a calender year) in the playoffs and succeeding has been a real bummer. I was glad when the Nationals lost and I while I am not a Giants fan I picked them to win the World Series when October began so I am okay with them winning.
Looking forward to 2013, I have to say this off season will be the one that makes or breaks Ruben Amaro Jr. I personally think he is awful. He completely forgot about the bullpen and the bench the last two seasons. Signing Papelbon was not the answer to pitching depth. This off-season he MUST take a long hard look at improving this team. Thats obvious to say but its so true. The bullpen was awful in 2012, the depth off the bench was not up to par. Great teams have depth and a solid bullpen. The Phillies have neither. There a couple names Im going to throw out there that people may not like but Melky Cabrera and Ryan Madson. Both are coming off years that one was suspended for 50 games, one didnt throw a pitch in 2012. Both very well might be available on a one year deal for reasonable money. I'm not a general manager but damn these two could help the Phillies. an outfielder that the Phillies need and bullpen depth. Both those guys would be very nice additions to the team. Some people say "what about Josh Hamilton"? well here are my thoughts. NO, too expensive (RAJ has already got to many $20M contracts on this team, dont want another one.
![]() |
| Ryan Madson would be a nice fit in the Phillies bullpen again in 2013. |
in closing I really just want to see RAJ be productive this off season. upgrade in needy positions, upgrade the bullpen and dont do anything rash. I am looking forward to 2013 season already and I hope the Phillies are back in the postseason next October because it just hasnt been the same this season.



No comments:
Post a Comment