Citizens Bank Park about an hour after the Phillies clinched the 2011 NL East

28 March 2012

NL East Preview

The National League East, the division I follow most closely. The Division that was owned by the Atlanta Braves for 15 years then the Mets had a spell on top but for the last 5 years its been all Phillies. They had to work for some of the early ones but lately its been a bit of a walk. I foresee that changing in the near future but for now its catch them if you can.

Atlanta Braves:
Chipper Jones
The Atlanta Braves didn't do much this off season when it comes to signings. The same Braves team that collapsed at the end of 2011 and lost out on the Wild Card on the last day of the season thanks to an epic extra innings loss to the Phillies, will come back pretty much intact. The roster does not look all that different. The Braves are going to be really tough team in 2012. The outfield boasts some great hitting with Prado, Bourn and Jason Heyward. The Infield is nicely rounded out by Freeman, Dan Uggla and Chipper Jones. Speaking of Chipper (Larry) Jones. Just last week he announced that the 2012 season will be his last in Major League Baseball. For a guy that is razzed every time he comes to Philadelphia, I honestly thing he is respected by most fans no matter what city you are in. I do honestly believe Chipper Jones is a Hall of Fame lock. I know I would vote for him if I was on that panel. The Braves pitching staff is one of the strongest in baseball lead by Tommy Hanson, Jair Jurrjens and Brandon Beachy. Oh and if a team can get to a starter they will have to deal with a bullpen that in my opinion is second to none. Guys like Venters, O'Flaherty, Medlen and closer Craig Kimbrel. All in all the Braves will be a force in 2012 and push for winning the division again this year.
Prediction - 2nd NL East 


Logan Morrison Of the Marlins
Miami Marlins:
Thats right the "Miami Marlins". They are now billed from Miami and not Florida as part of their new stadium deal. Ahh yes their new stadium that will make its national debut on opening night of the season next Wednesday night against he St. Louis Cardinals certainly was a big chip in coaxing free agents to arrive in Miami this winter. Jose Reyes, Mark Burehle and Closer Heath Bell all came to Miami to join new manager Ozzie Guillen. Some people wonder how Guillen will do in Miami this season but i think he is the best guy for that job. The Region, the team and fans (whenever they show up to a game) have been waiting for a guy like this to lead their team. During this winter the Marlins were hot on the trail of Albert Pujols before he signed in Anaheim for 10 years, but even without him I feel the Marlins will be really entertaining team to watch this season. Hanley Ramirez moving from SS to third base, Logan Morrison and his tweeting in Left field, Gioncarlo Stanton in Right, Gaby Sanchez at first. This team has some hitters that for sure. The Starting rotation is also built quite nicely, Besides Buehrle the Marlins still have Oft Injured Josh Johnson, Ricky Nolasco, Anabol Sanchez and the outspoken Carlos Zambrano who came over from the Cubs. With this staff and cast of hitters the Marlins will be right there in 2012 but might not be enough, it will be an improvement on last year though.
Prediction - 3rd NL East


The Rivalry between Phillies & Mets fans is still strong.
New York Mets:
Well what to say about the New York Mets. I will start by saying, I hate the Mets but I will keep it professional. I have read alot about the Mets financial woes, and the ownership is in serious flux at this time. With that cloud hanging over the organization it was tough to lure free agents to the big city this winter, and even lost long time SS Jose Reyes to the rival Marlins. The Mets still have some talent on their roster with David Wright, Jason Bay and Ike Davis. Their pitching staff could be pretty good lead by Johan Santana, who was hurt most of 2011, Mike Pelfrey, John Niese and knuckleballer R.A. Dickey. Manager Terry Collins will have his work cut out for him this season. Its going to be a very long 162 games for the Mets this season. Everyone is going to have to have an All-Star type season for this team to finish out of the NL East basement. I don't see that happening for the 2012 Mets and I expect the team to "clean house" this summer when it comes to the roster.
Prediction - 5th NL East


John Mayberry Jr. will get his chance with
the Phillies in 2012
Philadelphia Phillies:
The Phillies, The team I love, the team I follow, the team I spend my hard earned money on. The team that has won 5 NL East division titles in a row, and after winning 102 games in 2011 alot of people are expecting the Phillies to repeat as division champions. I myself do believe they will win it again but not because of their offense. With the departure of Raul Ibanez the Phillies will be going with a bit of "platoon" in Left field this season with John Mayberry Jr. and Lance Nix. I myself love Mayberry and think he should have the job outright. However if someone else emerges, so be it. The Phillies welcome back Shane Victorino and Hunter Pence in the outfield. In the infield, well this is where it gets exciting. They resigned Jimmy Rollins in the off season to play Short Stop, Polanco is back at third base and Ruiz is still behind the plate. However the right side of the infield is where the Phillies are "hurting". Ryan Howard is still recovering from his ankle surgery after blowing it out on the last play of the NLDS against the Cardinals. There is no timetable for his return. Same goes for Chase Utley, who has chronic knee problems and god only knows when he will be on the field again for the Phillies. He is expected to play in 2012 but when is the question? The starting rotation is still stacked, even without bringing back Roy Oswalt. They still boast Halladay, Lee and Hamels. Three of the best pitchers in all of baseball. The bullpen however is not as strong, They did sign closer Jonathan Pappelbon to a 4 year contract replacing Ryan Madson / Brad Lidge. I have high hopes for the Phillies as I do every year but I think this could be a battle to the finish this year. I fully expect the veterans of this team to lead the way they know how. Charlie Manual leading this squad is always a good thing, he is a smart manager (most of the time) and is still the right man for this team to guide them to a 6th straight division championship.
Prediction - 1st NL East


Washington Nationals:
Jayson Werth must have a bounce back year
in 2012 for the Nationals
The Washington Nationals are as desperate a team as I have ever seen. This team wants to be everything the Phillies are. The Nationals have been doing everything they can to get to where the Phillies have been the last five years. The Nationals have drafted well and signed some okay free agents along the way. They are led by Ryan Zimmerman and Jayson Werth (who they signed last off season to an awful contract) who had a really bad 2011. The Nationals will have Michael Morse who came out of nowhere in 2011 to hit 31 HR. Their middle infield is very suspect with the glove, Desmond and Espinosa are not the best fielders. The Pitching staff is getting stronger lead by Stephen Strasburg who is coming back from Tommy John surgery, Newly traded for Gio Gonzalez, free agent signing Edwin Jackson and another young Tommy John's recovering Jordan Zimmerman. The bullpen is solid with Clippard, Burnett, former Phillies closer Brad Lidge and Closer Drew Storen. The Nationals did sign a favorite of this house hold Chad Durbin, but its still to be determined if he will make the team or not. Honestly Im hoping not so he can opt out and go somewhere else. I will admit that the Nationals are on the right track to being a very competitive team for many years. But with the talent in the NL East at this time I dont think 2012 is their time. Stranger things have happened but I think they are still a couple years away.
Prediction - 4th NL East


Follow me on Twitter @Trap_33
Check out my Flickr Page

No comments:

Post a Comment