Citizens Bank Park about an hour after the Phillies clinched the 2011 NL East

31 March 2012

NL West Preview

This is the last installment of my division by division previews. I have gone though each division team by team and have come to this conclusion. I have no idea what I am talking about, but Im having fun none the less. 

Arizona Diamondbacks:
By far the surprise team of 2011, a team that went from worst to first and won 94 games a season ago and won the West by 8 games over then defending World Series Champion San Francisco Giants. The Diamondbacks' manager Kirk Gibson was named manager of the year and for good reason. When I say this team came out of nowhere I mean it. I was shocked like most of the baseball world. However, 2012 will be a season to prove it was not a fluke, Even though they lost in the first round of the playoffs to Milwaukee they still had a dream season in the desert. They bring back some power bats like Justin Upton, Paul Goldschmidt and Chris Young, They signed Jason Kubel this off season and and still have great fielders like Stephen Drew and Ryan Roberts. Their pitchers are lead by Ian Kennedy, after that guys like Trevor Cahill and Joe Saunders are very nice to have in a rotation. I think 2012 will prove that 2011 was not a fluke, however I dont know I can see them winning the division again. Either way it will be exciting to see them try. 
Prediction - 2nd NL West

Colorado Rockies:
Jaime Moyer at 49 Years Old will be in the
 Rockies Rotation in 2012
Jim Tracy's Colorado Rockies who finished in 4th last season in the division might have an uphill battle again this season. However with guys like Troy Tulowitzki, Marco Scutaro, Todd Helton, Dustin Fowler and newly signed Michael Cuddyer, the offense should be extremely entertaining in 2012. Now we all know the Rockies can go on "runs" late in the season to push for the playoffs as they have done twice before in recent memory, and only time will tell if the Rockies can do the same in 2012. I just dont know that they have enough this season. Their pitching staff got a boost when they traded for Jeremy Guthrie from Baltimore to go along with Jhoulys Chacin, Drew Pomeranz and 49 year old Jamie Moyer, who was told this week he would be in the starting rotation to start the season. Having watched and cheered for Moyer the last 5+ seasons in Philadelphia, I can honestly say I am so happy for him. Wish him the best of luck in Colorado and hope he has a fantastic season. 
Prediction - 3rd NL West

Los Angeles Dodgers:
The Los Angeles Dodgers are as much a question as any team in the National League for this season. With Ownership still in flux the Dodgers were handcuffed in the free agent season this winter. They lost closer Johnathon Broxton and that will be a big loss for a team that can use back in help. The offense should still be pretty good, led by MVP Runner up Matt Kemp in Centerfield, Andre Ethier, 1B James Loney and 3B Juan Uribe. The starting rotation is still strong with Clayton Kershaw, Chad Billingsley and Ted Lilly, but the bullpen in my opinion is weak and will hurt this team when called apon in critical situations. I think with the ownership problems and the not knowing the end result will put a cloud over this team in 2012. The Dodgers will not be a bad team this season but I do not see them contending. middle of the pack type team. 
Prediction - 4th NL West

San Diego Padres:
The Padres come into the 2012 season with only one way to go, up. Last season San Diego lost 91 games and finished 23 games out of first place in the division while sitting in last place in the division. They were one of three teams that did not score more than 600 runs in 2011 and I honestly dont see anything that would suggest they will break that mark either this season. Guys like Nick Hundley, Orlando Hudson, Chase Headley, and Cameron Maybin, do not put fear in the mind of anyone i dont think. Still have to respect them though. Their starting staff is very this as well, number one pitcher Tim Stauffer does not have much help behind him. Houston Street closing the door on the back end is pretty strong and should have a solid year given the chances. Its going to be long season in San Diego but I dont think it will be much worse than 2011.
Prediction - 5th NL West 

AT&T Park should see some playoff
games in 2012
San Francisco Giants:
The Giants fell on hard times last season and was hit by the injury bug big time. After having won the World Series in 2010 the Giants missed the playoffs last year. In my opinion, I dont see that happening again this season. The Giants will welcome back young catcher Buster Posey this season after he missed most of 2011 with a broken leg after a collision at home plate last May. The Giants also have the "panda" Pablo Sandoval, Melky Cabrera, Aubrey Huff. The starting pitchers are amazing to say the least. a rotation that rivals the one in Philadelphia, Led by Tim Lincecum, Matt Cain, Madison Bumgarner, The Giants should have no problems winning games with pitchers of that caliber. The bullpen is also very strong. Guys like Romo, Affeldt and closer Brian Wilson (personal opinions set aside), that bullpen is really good. The Giants are a better team than the one that finished out of the playoffs last season. I look for then to not only get back to the playoffs but they will do it though winning the division. There should be some great baseball back in San Francisco in 2012 at the beautiful stadium on the bay. 
Prediction - 1st NL West 

That completes my National League previews, My official predictions are as follows:
NL East - Philadelphia Phillies
NL Central - Milwaukee Brewers
NL West - San Francisco Giants
With the new Wild Card one game playoff in effect in 2012 here are my two "Wild Card" teams that will take part in that game:
Atlanta Braves & Cincinnati Reds

We will see how I do on these picks, We shall see. 

Follow me on Twitter @Trap_33
Check out my Flickr Page

No comments:

Post a Comment